Monday, December 31, 2012

On the Eve of This New Year


"Poetry is Necessary" reads the sign, the photo of which was texted to me by a young person in my family.

And of course my first thought is of all those graduate school classes in which the professor quoted and re-quoted all those sayings about poetry from the famous poets. 

But this sign, it starts me thinking about the impulse behind the words--"poetry" and then "necessary." This urge of simple declaration is somehow part human instinct, part prophecy-- a kind of spiritual mandate--like a giant sticky note we post on the universe to remind ourselves-- and each other--to pay attention! this is important!

And then I think this is a good way to end the year. And a better way to begin another.

So I am wishing you all a happy, healthy, peaceful and attentive New Year.



No comments: