Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Celebrating National Poetry Month, 2012




I celebrated National Poetry Month by giving two readings: the first reading was for The Distinguished Poets Series of the Poetry Center at Passaic County Community College in New Jersey honoring the 2011 Paterson Poetry Prize winners. The finalists included myself, Michael Cirelli, W.D. Ehrhart, Erica Miriam Fabri, Rebecca Foust, and Jackie Sheeler. Elizabeth Alexander was the 2011 Paterson Poetry Prize winner. She, unfortunately, could not attend the reading due to the sudden death of her husband. My condolences to Elizabeth and her family. 

Maria Mazziotti Gillan (shown directly below) who is executive director  gave a brilliant introduction. Tony Medina is shown below reading from his poetry collection My Old Man Was Always on the Lam (NYQ Books) as is Jackie Sheeler reading from her collection Earthquake Comes to Harlem  (NYQ Books) and Erica Miriam Fabri reading from her book Dialect of a Skirt (Hanging Loose Press.) My thanks to my husband for taking these pictures. Micheal Cirelli (Vacations on The Black Star Line, Hanging Loose Press), W. D. Ehrhart (The Bodies Beneath the Table, Adastra Press) and Rebecca Foust (All That Pitiless Song, Many Mountains Moving Press) read as well.

















 The other reading I gave was at the library in my home town, North Babylon on Long Island in New York. The library which is located directly across from my old high school. How wonderful to see my family and old friends!
With my  friend Cathy Freyer Taylor who I met
in high school





1 comment:

karmenghia said...

I'm sure it was a crazy feeling going back to your old "hood" to read your poetry! Congratulations Lois and enjoy spending time with your friends and family!